Being social and interactive is both a fate and fortune for human beings. Engaging with people is also an essential key to survival. In modern times, the ways of making friends and connecting with people, however, have changed and include online solutions.
People are inherently attracted to the idea of being socially active over the internet. Luckily, we have rich options for social networking online – social media apps.
Social media platforms are where friendship and relationship flourish and grow serious without seeing people in flesh. If we case a glance at realistic numbers revealed by Statista, nearly 2 billion users relied on social networking apps in 2015.
Mobile devices have greatly contributed to this growth. With this trend in mind, we have compiled a list of 15 best social media apps that offer an exciting social media experience to users. Check out the entire list here:
From its days of inception, Facebook has come a long way to make people’s life much more interesting and exciting. With Facebook being your virtual social pal, you can upload photos, share your views and humorous stories, comment and even chat with your friends. You can make your own page and create fans right there on this platform.
You can also treat it as first-source content discovery medium for daily reads by joining the pages of illustrious influencers. It is the best platform to make certain highlights of your personal life known to people who follow you. It also offers a great branding medium where people engage and connect deeply with others.
- Customize your news feed
- Restrict people from seeing posts
- Share photos, videos, watch live videos, message, call, etc.
- Find local or social events
- Play games with Facebook friends
- Facebook serves to be a marketplace
WhatsApp, after earning a huge success worldwide, was acquired by the glorious Facebook in 2014, yet it still manages to exist as an independent instant chat and message sharing mobile app. Though it was launched in the digital world quite later than Facebook.
WhatsApp has unbelievably captured the interests of millions of people especially due to the fact that by then there was no chat app that directly connected with local contact list of user’s device.
The app is able to allow you to communicate and share instantly with individuals and groups. WhatsApp is still evolving, adding much more advanced features now and then.
- Lets message, call, send videos, documents, and voice messages
- Users can enjoy group chats
- Can share your location, exchange contacts,
- Set custom wallpapers and notification sounds etc.
- Consists of a rich collection of expressive stickers
After Facebook, if there is any other social networking app that made sensation, it is Instagram. Instagram was thought to have a unique leverage due to its ability to allow users to share photos and videos. Users relished the idea of capturing and sharing on the app the best and most important moments of their life.
Instagram lets you take a snap with your phone’s camera and turn it into a work of art using its various filters that you can apply. You can even post them on other popular media like Facebook and Twitter and use it as your investable marketing platform.
- Let’s you post photos and videos
- Browse feeds posted by other users
- Go live in public or with your followers’ group
- Message privately
- Users can also edit images, tag location with this app
- Let’s you add Hashtags, Filters, etc.
Twitter has also revolutionized online socials and pioneered the way message is delivered on social platforms and redefined it as a ‘tweet’, a short text message containing no more than max 140 characters.
Users leveraged Twitter to make a genuine profile, post their expressions, news, updates or share contents with the world.
At Twitter, businesses and marketers can run their cluster and promote their services for heightened customer engagement using key terms in form of hashtags. The app also enables you to shop directly via tweets without visiting the store.
- Watch live streaming videos
- See all sides of a story happening in any part of the world first in Twitter
- Users can like photos, videos, and GIFs
- Chat privately with friends and followers
- Create a group conversations
- Get suggestions on influential people
5. Facebook messenger
Facebook Messenger is Facebook’s separate chat app that is used to send messages to people in your Facebook contacts. It makes it simple and faster to reach out to people you want to talk to. Most socially active people prefer FB messenger to share their messages.
Read also : How To Create an App like Instagram?
Unlike other social apps where the consumption of messages is not guaranteed, FB messenger is where people often go to and check messages.
Every time you receive a message from someone, the app notifies you with a sound alert which helps you quicken your responses if it is really important.
- Allows to send messages to Facebook friends
- Can send money securely easily
- Can share locations, chat with businesses
- Send text, audio messages
- Can make video or audio calls
The most widely used video sharing platform where users around the globe spend a billion hours a day watching the favourite or trending videos. It’s the second biggest social media site and is also known as the second largest search engine just after Google.
If you are someone who would like to be famous or would like to promote, then get started by creating your own YouTube channel. Where you can upload videos and your subscribers can view, like, comment or share.
- Easier access to subscription feeds
- Video management on the go
- Better live streams
- Big screen interface with dark mode
- Now there’s YouTube TV for live streaming direct broadcasts of FOX, NBC and 40+ cable channels
Pinterest runs on Pins, so that when you have interesting ideas for projects or have other fascinating stories, you can simply pin them on your personal boards. It is used as a photo sharing and visual bookmarking social media app where you can save posts and even upload your ideas.
Read also : How To Develop An App Like Viber For Android?
You can promote a blog story under a post, share DIY tasks such as home improvement inspirations and cooking recipe or define travel plans and do much more using pins boards on Pinterest.
- Find pins, people, brands and whatever you would love to see in feed
- Discover more than 100 billion possibilities in life
- Let’s invite and collaborate with friends
When it comes to considering professional networking platform, LinkedIn is hard to beat as it is by far the invincible in this category. Available in 20 languages, LinkedIn is often sought by active professionals across the globe or avid job seekers to search jobs, find new opportunities or expand their existing professional network of people.
It is respected as an ideal platform to follow companies, eminent HRs and influential executives who often their insights or industry trends via LinkedIn blog. LinkedIn has more than 400 million profiles.
- Create a profile & highlight your skillsets
- Helps in both job search and recruiting
- Let’s users write articles or even share posts
- Can follow interested people or company profiles
- Creates opportunities for business networking and brand marketing
Known to be the most trending music app among teenagers which lets you create short music videos based on popular music tracks, dialogs from popular movies or even own voice tracks. The idea of music apps was totally changed with the introduction of this app which was earlier known as Muscial.ly. According to market stats, TikTok has become the 6th most downloaded app in 2018.
- Has a simple user interface
- There are editing tools with AR features
- Users can make duets with anonymous users
- Enables social media integration
- Has an integrated music library which has access to multiple languages
Reddit has been around for quite a while, a platform that enables you to submit your content and vote for the same.
Based on the voting volume, the content moves up or down, which is subject to subreddits that represent your areas of interest.
Reddit has emerged as a great first-hand source for various contents including blogs, insights and rich updates.
- A free and open platform for users to post, share & discuss
- Let’s discover news, viral video clips, funny jokes, and hot memes, etc.
- Enables chat with communities
- A great source of blogs, insights and rich updates
If you are looking for some ideal destinations to visit with your friends and loved ones, Foursquare should end up on your device.
This search-and-discovery based social platform helps you find suitable places based on your location for you to explore with your mates.
Read also : How To Make a Social Media App?
Additionally, it also informs you on best food outlets, night lifestyle spots and other interesting stuff in your area. Swarm also offers this social networking feature in its app.
- A perfect app to take you to the right spot
- Can read short tips written by people around the world
- You can follow friends, influencers and even brands’
- Get personalized recommendations
Ravelry lives on the concept of community-based networking for people who are fond of fibre arts like knitting, weaving, spinning and crocheting.
The creative people of Ravelry community are free to share their collections, ideas and learnings to inspire other members and collaborate with like-minded spirits.
- World’s largest community for knitters &crocheters
- Allows you to search yarns, patterns or even projects that others work on
- Access to subscribed forums, writing forum posts
Mix is one of the smart social media apps that discovers content to users’ taste and recommends what might matter to them. This way, the app empowers users to find webpages, blogs, images, videos and more. In the end, you can rate what you see and read based on your taste and experience.
- Discover content from experts & friends
- View photos, videos, and articles
- Feature all the important content within your profile
- Collect, save and share your favorite posts
Life gets more fun and lively when you live in the moment. Here’s one of the most popular social media apps, Snapchat which provides teens the best way to interact socially while simultaneously giving them awesome looks.
In addition to just letting you connect and follow friends, this app offers a lot more exciting features which include news, entertainment, games, quizzes, photo & video-editing tools etc. Overall the app comprises of a lighthearted design with photo filters that uses rainbows and flower crowns effects.
- An app to send snaps in seconds
- Can add filters to your video or photographs
- Chat using the live messaging feature
- Follow friends & watch their stories
- Share your location and even see where your friends are hanging out
- Get to know all breaking news, watch original shows & even community stories
15. The Dots
The Dots is one of the robust social media apps for creative minds, for people who are actively engaged in a creative process trying to strengthen their identity in the domain.
It helps members connect, collaborate, share and commercialize their efforts in order to build a profitable, viable and diverse creative industry.
Read also : How To Create a Messaging App Like Whatsapp?
Pip Jamieson is the founder of The Dots who launched the platform in 2014 in the UK with an honest passion to make the creative sector more open, collaborative, rich and meritocratic.
- Platform to share your work
- Get inspired with new ideas in life
- Get discovered, apply for jobs & hired by companies
- Build a network by messaging and collaborating
- Upload text, images, videos from Vimeo, YouTube, etc.
Download : iOS
At first, this grew as a messaging app just like WhatsApp and later on grew into an all-in-one platform where you can message, call and even does online shopping; make money transfers, online payments, book tickets, taxi etc.
- Provide voice, video call
- Allows mobile transactions
- Let’s you create m-commerce stores for brands
- Comes with a standard QR code reader
- Offers games inside the app
- Allows mini-blog and posting thoughts
- Enables geo-location feature
The most widely used social networking and micro-blogging site for sharing text, images, audios, videos, links, and more. From art, fashion, food to animal photos, people post a wide range of things within Tumblr.
- Consist of 250 beautiful text blocks
- Post photos, text, videos, live videos, audio,GIFs
- Help make your own GIFs with stickers and text
- Provides social media integration
18. Baidu Tieba
Baidu Tieba is another unique social discussion forum offered by a Baidu of China, a search engine company. Internationally recognized as Postbar, it bases its networking function on keyword searches as executed using Baidu search engine.
- Helps you connect with people and interested communities/topics
- Content-oriented and highly interactive
- Powerful search engine
- Genuine novels can be viewed
Download : iOS
Similar to other messaging apps, Viber is also a social messaging app which allows users to send messages, audios, videos, call share GIFs, stickers and much more. Other than just social messaging, this app lets you promote your business as well. Here, you can buy ads and promote stickers, engage users in your community and even display products in the shopping category.
- Enable notifications
- Easy switching between chats
- More privacy option with hiding seen and online status
- Can Doodle on any photo
- Enables battery-saving features with the dark mode
- Users can initiate groups call with up to 5 people
This is a multi-purpose messaging app that allows you to share text, stickers, play games, and make ticket bookings, payment transfers &online shopping. LINE is one of the most popular social media apps in Japan and also in other areas in Asia.
As it helps in business promotions, brands, celebrities etc. can create official accounts where they can share the latest news, promotions, pictures etc. that will appear on the follower’s timeline.
- Group video calls
- Has stickers for practically every possible emotion
- Can set your messages to automatically disappear after fixed time
- Users can create rich data & even provide coupons
Even though this app is similar to other social media apps, it is often known for its high security features. Within a short time period, this has become one of the biggest social networking sites worldwide, primarily focussed on speed and privacy.
- Heavily encrypted & self-destructive messaging
- Faster than any other app
- Completely free with no ads
- No limits to the media/chat that’s send
- Coordinate groups with almost 2 lakh users
A complete place to read & write about big ideas and stories. Anything longer than 140 characters can be shared in this platform which is elegant and visually appealing.From opinions to interviews, photography etc. this app takes you with greater insight into the world.
- Great tool to import any existing content
- Easy to use with best blog editing features
- Automatically connects to existing social media accounts
- Get daily email digest on real-time user engagement
This is a social media monitoring app that lets companies or brands to track hash tags, monitor competitors, check keywords, and capture moments across social platforms. Keyhole lets you understand how millions of people engage with your brand, promotions and influencers across web & social media.
- Campaign or event monitoring
- Helps in influencer marketing
- Allows market research & brand monitoring
- Analyse hash tags & keywords
- Compare social media accounts
Download : Android
An app that is focussed to bring a group of people together from thousands of cities to do more of what they want to do in life. It’s a place to find and join local communities around you where you get to meet new people, learn new things, find a comfort zone, get support and moreover find a true passion.
- Find meetups in various categories liketech, fitness, career and networking, photography, language etc.
- Polls allow you to collect anonymous suggestions
- Can share documents & files with one another
- Get member activity in the stats page
- Mobile web check-in allows you to check members as they arrive
The list above has an impressive range of 24 exquisite and widely used social media apps. Covering many aspects of life, these social media apps not only allow you to socialize online comfortably.
But some of them also go beyond the usual to offer you a platform for creatively sharing ideas and expressions with a community of your wish. Hopefully, they will continue to amaze you in coming years with more fascinating elements.