VR apps offers a truly immersive experience and offers a sensory experience that can transport the individual to virtually any place, well ‘virtually’.
While the space has been taken up by expensive as well as inexpensive headsets and fancy gear to enjoy the VR apps experience, it is now possible to leverage your smartphones display for a good VR experience.
All that you need is to get the right VR apps on your smartphones.
Here are 24 top VR apps that will transform your smartphones into a great VR experience.
1. Google Earth VR
The whole new Google Earth VR lets users explore the world from a totally new perspective. With this app, the whole world becomes within your reach.
This app can be of great use for people everywhere to explore our planet in detail.
It also consists of a new search function that prompts the VR keyboard that can be manipulated according to your headset controller.
- Helps you discover the world’s most incredible places
- Can measure heights & area
- Zoom on down to Google street view database
- Enjoy virtual tourism
- Spin the globe at 360 degrees view
2. Google Expeditions VR
This VR teaching tool allows you to lead immersive trips all over the world and get more virtual reality experiences in mountains, underwater and at any outer space that you visit.
An additional feature in the app the solo mode lets users explore over 600 different tours by themselves.
For this experience, users just need to download the app, drop phones to Google Cardboard and then ready for the adventure.
- Serves as a new way of learning for students with the help of AR & VR
- Allows teachers to guide students with 360° scenes and 3D objects
- Create your own virtual adventures
3. Netflix VR
An app that allows Netflix subscribers to watch their favorite shows, movies using Google Daydream, Oculus VR devices. Netflix happens to be one of the video-based services to implement VR and which introduced 360-degree view in apps that let users step into a virtual room to watch TV, movies or shows using their Gear VR. Within the app, users can choose between 2 modes- void more & living room experience.
- This is available in Google Day Dream View VR headset
- Watch TV and movie shows with 480p resolution
- Users get to choose 2 modes- Void & living room experience
4. YouTube VR
Along with other features, Google is ramping up its VR efforts mainly for videos with the YouTube VR. Now experience your favorite channels, videos, etc. in virtual reality, reimagining YouTube as a 3D world.
Users can explore all videos from 3D 360 videos to standard rectangular videos. Along with this, the app also provides features of special audio.
- Users watch & discuss videos with others in a communal or virtual space
- AR Beauty Try-On feature will let YouTube users try makeup while watching tutorials
- Consists of standard rectangular videosto 3D 360 videos & also have some special audio features
5. Littlstar VR
This is one of the largest global platforms dedicated to immersive VR content. Users can discover, search and share top rated content about global brands like Fox, Universal, Disney, ABC, NBC, Sony, etc.
With this app, you can use both touch panning and the movement of your phone to experience 360 video content without VR headsets or even get into the VR mode using headsets like Google Cardboard.
- Bring all your personal media library to a single device
- Add your favourite feeds from web to the app
- Fixed Frame, 3D, 360 & 180
- Newly introduced the PS4, where users with and without VR headsets can make use of the app to access personal content from their home network.
6. End Space VR
Regardless of the generation you belong to, the notion of controlling a spaceship and shooting the hell out of your opponents, has its own special appeal.
VR has made it a lot more immersive with End Space VR, which has spectacular game plays and stunning visuals that will turn you into an excited kid.
With high speed action, you can be sure that this VR game will give you a thrilling experience. Though you need to pay for this VR experience, you will find it worth in every single dime.
- First-person spaceship shooter VR game
- Works with PC, Play station 4 & Samsung Gear VR
- Immerses players into the game world with quality 3D graphics & better sound
7. Jaunt VR
This is one of the VR apps that every movie buff would love to have. It offers you a select playlist of movies and clips that you get to see with VR.
The app dons the mantle of a portal where you enter to select a clip or movie to watch.
The VR experience will take you right to the thick of action, giving you an experience that is difficult to forget easily.
- Immersive cinematic experiences
- Employs 360 degree imagery
- Music, sports, travel, film,the app aggregates a wide variety of VR videos
8. Liftoff VR
This gives you a bird’s eye view of SpaceX liftoff. The controls in the gaming app will permit you to check out different angles of a satellite released in orbit from the SpaceX Falcon Heavy Rocket.
You will also get to try your hand in landing the separated booster without crashing it. The whole immersive experience is bound to make you space bound, with a great view.
- A game that translates the rush of first-person view drone racing to the digital world
- Can serve to be a platform for pilots with real-life experiences and for new gamers
- This game is based on hyper realistic drone physics
- Offers to customize and share drones with other pilots
9. Virtual Reality Moon
While it may not be possible for everyone to turn Neil Armstrong, you can certainly relive a similar experience with this app.
Choose a good enough headset for this experience and depress the action button to ‘virtually’ walk on the lunar surface that Neil Armstrong once walked upon.
The features on the app give you a great experience in finding your way around the Earth’s satellite.
- Users get the most exciting journey through the moon
- Using the VR eyeglasses, users can enjoy the complete moon
- Use magnet sensors to stop at a place and examine
10. VR Mojo Orbulus
Travelling to certain destinations may remain a dream for many, due to one of many reasons. However, it is possible to have a near real experience with these VR apps.
Choose the most iconic places to visit in famous locations on the planet and enjoy a fully immersive experience.
The app will take you places, and it will also take you to the most unusual of spaces – arte facts of historic value and modern day appliances.
- Works with smartphone VR viewers & Google Cardboard
- Let’s users travel the world, stand on mars and lot more
- Literally, control movement and sights with hands or by just looking at objects
11. VR Noir
This could be your chance to become a virtual private eye like Miss Marple from one of Agatha Christies novels. The app gives you a good shot at playing detective, with an interactive game, driven by VR.
The plot thickens and enthralls, relying on real settings and environments, to give you a wholesome and immersive experience that makes you the central character.
Its interactive mode combines with the 360 degree view to make it fully interesting.
- Portrays cinematic storytelling & immersive gameplay
- App lets you play the role of a detective Veronica Coltraneusing VR
- Works with Google Cardboard or VR headsets
12. VR Roller Coaster
This has got to be one of the best roller coaster rides ever, at least on VR apps. It gives you a near real experience with some crazy loops, twists and turns that will give you the same feeling as an actual roller coaster ride.
To add to the feeling, the landscape depicted on the app, gives you the sensation of heights as you get to see skyscrapers and landmark buildings.
- Experience the real-life roller coaster ride using the VR headsets
- Google Cardboard powered stereoscopic rendering
- Exciting playing environment filled with buildings, noisy crowds, birds, riders &airship
13. Zombie Shooter VR
This is something that will ratchet up the excitement many notches higher. The zombie franchise will not die and the VR experience only makes it all the more interesting.
You get to shoot zombies out of the way as you make your way through a city landscape, with surprises thrown with increasing frequency, you will be in the grip of zombie mania, turning trigger happy and enjoying it.
- Ultra-realistic 360 degree 3D VR world with detailed graphics showing a world full of blood-thirsty zombies
- Trial version includes the freemium system but to unlock new features you need to pay $1.99
- Can use VR headsets to get the 360 degree freedom
14. Google Street View
This is definitely a VR app that you should have on your iPhone, as it has possibly the largest collection of locations. You name the place and the app seems to have it.
And it offers additional features like giving you the flexibility to include your own collections to the app. If you would like to good look at the most sought after locations on the globe, here’s your chance to do it virtually.
- Explore world landmarks &step inside locations
- Allows 360º photographs and can publish to Google Maps to share with the world
- Consists of spectrum of Street View ready tools
15. NYT VR
Now this may catch you by surprise, but it is true. The New York Times VR app is actually giving mothers a run for their experiences.
The app permits you to actually experience the plight of people chronicled by the newspaper. You can virtually go into locations covered by the newspaper in the pursuit of its news.
- Takes users inside 360-degree video news stories
- Explore stories using Google Cardboard or simply use their device
- Experience it on iPhone, Android and Samsung Gear VR
- Consists of a library of 360-degree VR experiences customized for each user
16. Relax VR
This will certainly make it to the bucket list of ‘must have’ VR apps. The hustle and bustle of cities can sometimes turn lives into an highly stressful existence.
This is where the Relax VR app can help. At the flick of a switch you can find yourself in the most tranquil locations, at complete peace with yourself and the world.
- Has 360º video viewing and spatial sounds giving the experience of beach, ocean, wind, waves, forest, crickets etc.
- Calming, guided meditations or peaceful ambient beats
- Users can de-stress themselves with high quality experience
17. Star Chart VR
If you are scientifically inclined and would like a touch of reality to your interest in astronomy, this VR app gives you the freedom to explore the solar system.
Take a close look at a planet of your special interest, give any constellation your undivided attention with this VR app, and learn more information about the focus of your attention.
- First virtual reality planetarium
- Explore the solar system with accurate & real-time space simulation
- Consists of different start chart modes
- Set foot on the surfaces of the moon and Mars
18. USA Today VR Stories
For all those who love to have a taste of America through a VR headset, this app has it all. A mixed bag of clips gives you a stunning experience of some of the most historic locations of America.
Take a drip down memory lane and into the lap of nature at its best in landmark locations with this app.
VR and AR are transforming experiences through spectacular advances in technology. End uses include business applications, healthcare and recreation, among others.
The VR apps in smartphones give users an incredible immersive experience, when combined with a decent VR headset. Choose your pick, fasten your seat belts and get ready for the next level of experiences.
- Get the best of local, national and international news
- Immerse yourself in stories with 360 degree VR experiences
- Works in desktop, smartphone, Google cardboard, VR headsets
19. Ocean Rift
The world’s first aquatic park that has VR effect & which provides an ultimate and vivid underwater world view which includes sharks, dolphins, sea snakes, rays, sea lions and even different types of dinosaurs.
The app is mainly divided into 12 habitats ranging from coral reefs, lagoons, etc. and even details on prehistoric seas. It also has 45+ information points that let you learn more about ocean animals.
- World’s first VR aquatic park
- Explore a vivid range of underwater species including dolphins, sharks, turtles, sea lions, whales etc.
- Interact with creatures across 12 habitats like coral reefs, shipwrecks, lagoons, Arctic and Atlantis
20. Tilt Brush
An app that lets users start their painting from a whole new perspective like never before. The main feature of the app is that one can paint in 3D space using VR and make your room your canvas.
Your palette is your imagination. The possibilities are endless. Other features include dynamic brushes, intuitive interface, poly integration and much more.
- Changing the way of creating art
- Users are allowed to paint in three-dimensional space
- Available for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive
- It has a pin tool that locks objects into one position, making it easier to manipulate the region around the object
21. Virtual Desktop
An app that lets you convert your PC to VR, creating great experiences for watching movies, browsing and even playing games with the giant virtual screen effect.
This function of virtual reality has led to the enhancement of the physical workspaces of today. For now, the virtual desktop is available in Gear VR & Oculus Go.
- Has both mobile and PC version
- Users can watch movies, browse or even play games on virtual screens
- Supported by Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Gear VR, Oculus Go
Allumette is the largest VR movie ever created; this innovative VR project from penrose studios portraits the movie directed by Eugiene Chung which tells you the story of a young orphan who lives in a fantastical city in the clouds.
Even though none of the characters speak throughout the entire course of the film, the different communication forms they use to convey their intent and emotion does an effective job.
- Longest VR movie ever made
- Taps into the raw emotion of virtual space
- Conveys the sacrifices made by people for the greater good
- Available on HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, PSVR platforms
Colosse is a real-time virtual reality story telling gaming experience that is character focused and stylish. Colosse was born from an Ocular VR Mobile VR jam of 2015, where the plot revolves around a great long lost ship known as colosse, which explores the themes of power, respect, and fear.
- Colosse was made with limbo, a VR camera movement technique
- Impressive animation
- Available on HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, OSVR platforms
- Events will occur in the direction you are gazing
Founded by Aaron Koblin and Chris Milk “WITHIN” brings together the most immense experiences from the finest VR’s around the world. WITHIN is an all in one VR content app that distributes VR, XR and AR experiences across web, mobile and other consoles.
- New contents added constantly
- Available on iOS, Android, Daydream, Gear VR, Oculus Rift, PlayStation®VR, Steam®VR, Viveport and WebVR platforms.
- A broad content library which is getting bigger by time
On the whole, VR is taking off in a big way and many companies in every part are working on this experience creating immersive solutions for a new kind of interactive experience.
Even if you’re not ready to make a move into VR right now, it’s still ok but, it’s an interesting technology to pay attention.