The popular messaging apps are a great way to send and receive quick messages from people in your circle. By enabling convenient chat windows, they enhance communication by means of instant messages, video call or voice calls and media file sharing.
As we all know, the Covid days are making it really challenging for the school going kids, working professionals, business leaders and the socially active people to connect with those in their circles. With the new social distancing rules, the apps for messaging are popular than ever before as the world is trying to connect with remotely.
The possibilities of digital communication have really come handy in these trying times to maintain the relations, keep up the workflow and to connect with the world at the comfort of one’s home.
However, all popular messaging apps have different features to offer. So which one would you choose from the lot?
To help you select the best messaging app, here are a few most popular messaging apps shortlisted for 2021.
|Discord||Google Duo||GroupMe||Google Messages|
|Go SMS Pro||Telegram||Amino||Viber|
|Textra SMS||Signal||Chomp SMS||Tango|
|Mghty Text||Snapchat||Pulse SMS||Skype|
This is an amazing all-in-one communication app that introduces new ways to chat, explore and keep in touch with your communities, gaming arena, and friends.
There is no better way to plan your next meet-up or hop into a game together as the app features organized text channels and open voice channels.
The advanced features of the app allow users to create VIP channels where special community members can chat in a place just for them.
- Easily create an invite-only place to talk
- Organized channels let you to share videos or coordinate meetups
- Easy options to group your community of 5 or 500,000
- Open voice channels make hanging out easy and friends can talk without making calls
- Easily gather up for a screen-sharing session any time or watch friends stream their games
- Turn any image into your own custom emojis and share them with friends
2) Google Duo
Just like all other Google apps, this amazing app has also won hearts of millions in a shot span of time. It is one of the highest quality video calling apps available today that is known for its simplicity and reliability and it works across platforms and device types.
The app lets you make voice only calls to your friends when you can’t chat over video. It lets you capture photo of your video calls and automatically share with other members. Unlike many similar popular messaging apps, you can stay in touch with Duo whether you are on your phone, tablet, or on the web.
- Let you make calls between Android and iOS
- Easily share and join group calls with just a link
- Make group video call with up to 32 people
- Send and receive personalized video and voice messages & photos
- It lets you make video calls even in poor lighting conditions
- Conversations are encrypted for your privacy
This is a cool platform that features simple ways to stay connected with your friends, family, co-workers or other groups. Simply add anyone to the group using their email id or phone number and start the conversation right away through SMS.
The app is flexible enough to start or resume conversations from your mobile or computer. It is ideal for both one to one and group conversations that made it a great choice among friends and school and work groups.
- App lets you choose when and what type of notifications you receive
- Easily leave or end group chats and mute specific chats
- See content shared from URLs displayed in the chat with one tap
- Be expressive in your conversations through exclusive emojis
- Let you explore the photos and videos that were shared in the group
- Easily search and send GIFs and meme images
4) Google Messages
This is Google’s official app for texting (SMS, MMS) and chat (RCS). It is the most reliable option for texting anyone across the globe. Users can stay in touch through group chats and share pictures, videos and audio messages.
The search option lets users to track back the old conversations with a particular contact that may include photos, videos, addresses and links that were shared earlier.
- Send and receive messages over Wi-Fi or your data network on supported carriers
- Communication can be faster and more fun with instant messaging and smart replies
- Let you send audio messages, emoji, stickers, or your location
- Users can send and receive payments with Google Pay
- Dark mode lets you use Messages comfortably in low-light situations
5) GO SMS Pro – Messenger, Free Themes, Emoji
This is a simple and intuitive messaging app that can be personalized to your needs with fun options like lovely stickers and beautiful themes.
The best part is the Private box that helps to encrypt messages & protect your privacy. The pro version even support disabling all sponsored messages and unlimited cloud storage space for message backup.
- Allows Pop up of new messages for quick viewing and replying
- Sticky conversations let you focus on important contacts
- Enjoy GO chat support for free messages and group chat
- Identify calls identify unknown calls and block spam calls
- Delay to send option helps to correct the wrong messages before sending
Read Also : 15 Best Live TV Streaming Apps 2021
Telegram is designed for those who seek fastest messaging experience along with great security. It is reliable, secure and powerful. The app has over 400 million active users and works well on both desktop and mobile platforms.
The securities of the chats are ensured by 256-bit symmetric AES encryption, Diffie-Hellman secure key exchange and 2048-bit RSA encryption.
This app does not have any advertisements and is completely free. They are keeping on expanding the boundaries of what you can do with messaging apps.
- It uses cloud to store the chat history and never compromise the device space
- Easily create group chats for up to 200,000 members and share large videos, documents of any type
- All expressive needs are met as it supports GIFs, stickers, video, and photo editing
- Allows no third-party access to data to assure utmost privacy
- Users can program Secret Chat messages to self-destruct automatically
The app is a great choice for those looking for friends with the same hobby or passion as this platform lets you easily share your ideas and thoughts at your finger tips. You can explore your interests, tell your story and find your people on Amino.
The latest update empowers users to create videos, communities, posts, and quizzes to represent the interests to the world, the fandom, or just within the favorite group of friends.
- Awesome place to watch stories, videos, and read blogs
- Create own blogs, polls, quizzes, and stories using built in video editing features
- Customize the profile using handcrafted stickers and profile frames available in digital store
- Allows you to add text, background music, and even turn horizontal videos into vertical ones
- Make new friends and chat with people like you across the globe
This convenient messaging app does the login by using the phone number of the user and it syncs with the user’s phone to find contacts. Users can communicate with other Viber users through stickers, emoticons, text, photos, videos and voice messages and make free international calls with just a data plan or Wi-Fi connection.
Users can perform unlimited calls, endless texting and high quality video chat through this app for free and perform group video call with up to 20 people.
Users can enrich the conversation with Chat Extensions and interested users can even start a Viber community with unlimited members to share a common interest or passion.
- Allows you to make crystal-clear audio and instant video calls
- Self-destructs your secret chats
- Easily make low-cost calls to landlines with Viber Out
- The group chat feature allows to connect with up to 250 members
- Chat and call with 100% privacy through end to end encryption
9) Textra SMS
This is a fast and highly customizable alternative to regular messaging apps with a set of remarkable features. It can be easily customized to your preferred theme & bubble colours, notifications and signatures or changes can be made for different conversations, as well. Users can pick from over 3000 emoji style choices to express themselves during conversations.
- Enhanced notifications and quick reply options
- Allows MMS GROUP messaging or quick voice memos
- Copy Partial Text let you to copy any part of the text in a bubble
- Allows scheduled (future) SMS & MMS
- Offers slide to delete and call and quick snap camera options
10) Signal Private Messenger
This messenger app features instantaneous communication across the globe for free and users can stay connected through high-fidelity messages and HD voice/video calls.
The highlight is Signal’s advanced privacy-preserving technology that lets users to share the moments to those who really matters.
The app is optimized to operate in the most constrained environments and its enhanced audio and video quality assures better conversations across town or ocean.
The existing phone number and address book can be used to securely communicate with your friends.
- Messages are delivered quickly and reliably
- Switch to the dark theme for a convenient ambience
- End-to-end encryption keeps the conversations secure
- Built-in image editing features let you sketch, crop, and flip your outgoing photos
- App allows to disable noises completely or set custom alerts for each contact
11) Chomp SMS
This is a user-friendly messaging app that comes with unlimited customization options while sending and receiving messages. Get a personalized touch and feel to your messages by changing the font style, text size, screen colour, and background wallpaper.
Moreover, choose from over 3000 plus Android, Twitter, Emoji One & iOS style emojis to express freely during the conversations.
- Offers privacy options including a passcode lock
- Designed with scheduled SMS sender and reminders
- Stop a text while sending if you change your mind
- Easily change notification LED colours and vibrate patterns
- App is compatible with Yappy, Pushbullet, MightyText and Android Wear
Tango is one of the most popular messaging apps that come with a variety of chat features that enables the users to chat with friends as well as find new friends to chat with. Unlike similar popular messaging apps, finding new friends is a lot easy by using “nearby” or group chat features.
You can create conversation groups which enables chat option with a number of people at the same time. This messenger even lets you download video games and play with your friends while on call.
This is an amazing platform to show off your talents and get discovered online.
- Let’s you watch and create live stream videos as well as broadcast them
- You can send stickers or photos and add filters while on a live call
- It lets you to engage with your fans live and make money through hobbies
- Apply masks and other cool filters to have fun on Live Video
- DUAL broadcast feature allows to collaborate with other video content creators
13) Mighty Text: SMS Texting w/ PC – Free SMS Messaging Communication
This is an easier, faster, & better option for free and seamless SMS text messaging. With this application, users can send and receive messages from PC, Mac, or Tablet without the need of signing in to mobile. For its user friendliness, efficiency and productivity, the app was listed among Time Magazine’s “Best 50 Android Apps”
- No need to check your phone for every SMS notification
- Text online from the comfort of your computer or tablet
- Ideal to send quick, professional bulk SMS messages to colleagues & clients
- Easily turn off incoming SMS notifications during presentations
- See Caller ID of incoming phone calls without looking at your phone
The distinctive catch behind the tremendous popularity of Snapchat is its unique instant messaging capability that appeals most to teenagers today.
Laced with video conversations, Snapchat is a free app and offers distinguished self-destructing power to users which destroys shared media files after a fixed period.
As the app opens to camera, you can share the moments in seconds. It now offers more features such as funny filters, photo editing, bitmojis, adaptive chat and story sharing system. Users can even create own Filters to add to photos and videos.
- SNAP MAP lets you see where your friends are hanging out
- Let’s you follow your friends and watch their daily story
- Free cloud storage helps users to have a look back on memories
- Friendship profile features moments you have saved together
- Allows you to video chat with up to 16 friends at once
15) Pulse SMS (Phone/Tablet/Web)
This is the next-generation private text messaging app that is designed with a range of impressive features to make quality conversations. The app assures best in class user experience with data security, password protection and is free of ads.
Just an internet connection is all what you need to send and receive picture and text messages seamlessly across computer, tablet, watch, car, or any device.
- Easily share GIFs with your messages
- Automated replies based on contacts and keywords
- Delayed sending to give you time to edit or cancel messages
- Powerful searching through messages and conversations
- Suggested Smart Replies within conversations
Read Also : 20 Best Free Movie Apps 2021
This app needs no introduction when it comes to listing it in the best popular messaging apps for 2021. Built with a professional appeal, Skype has globally grown as a most preferred free video calling app.
It features a fast instant messaging interface and promotes ease of file transfer. Skype to Skype calls are always free.
The app is compatible across phones, tablets, PCs and Macs that makes it a solid choice for business communication. The new SMS Connect feature lets you read and reply to your phone’s SMS messages from your laptop/PC.
- Allows you to make voice calls to anyone across the globe
- Easily send photos and videos with your family and friends
- A group chat or family reunion is at your finger tips
- Options to make HD video calls with up to 24 users ensures the quality and purpose during business meets
- Easily liven up conversations with emoticons
17) Facebook Messenger
Attracting more than 1 billion global users, Facebook Messenger native app effortlessly manages to compete with similar popular messaging apps.
Facebook users can instantly connect with friends through chat messages, voice messages and voice and video calls. It is compatible across platforms and comes with GIF support along with location and media file sharing.
This social media app is constantly improving its features and enhancing user experience with even more compact and light interface with minimal tabs to fast-access the chat features.
- Users can make free video calls with up to 8 people and use interactive video features like face filters
- Send messages that only last for a moment using Vanish Mode
- Make plans to get together with polls
- Easily connect with your favourite businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals etc.
- Watch movies live with friends in Messenger Video Chat Rooms
- Host up to 50 people with no time limits in group chat
Slack is a team oriented productive messaging app popular among the corporations as well as common people. It supports the features of scheduling, management tools; messaging and app integration.
The option of chat channels allows the users to quickly set subgroups for topic-oriented or task-oriented discussions. Small businesses and large enterprises use the app to bring team communication and collaboration into one place.
- Let you message or call any person or group within your team
- Easy to organise your conversations by topic or project
- Options to share and edit documents and collaborate with the right people
- Easily integrate Google Drive, Salesforce, Dropbox, Asana, Twitter etc
- Allows to easily search a central knowledge base that automatically indexes and archives your team’s past conversations and files
- Stay focussed on what matters by customising notifications
It comes as no surprise that WhatsApp has been downloaded by more than five billion users. Its growth has been rapid after Facebook acquired the messaging app. Unlike its counterparts, the app is free of advertisements.
The user can instantly communicate with anyone in their circles just by knowing their mobile number. The app is absolutely free and one can send text, photos, documents, short voice and video messages to their phone contacts.
The latest update has added novel features such as more expressive emojis and stickers and enabled message encryption for enhanced security. The WhatsApp Web feature allows access of messages right from your computer’s browser.
- Connect with your contacts easily through phone’s address book
- No subscription fees or international charges
- Allows group chats and video calls with your contacts
- Saves offline messages which can be retrieved anytime
- Let you share your location and exchange contacts easily
- It works seamlessly with no usernames or PIN
20) Microsoft Teams
This awesome business app is a great platform loved by corporate businesses as this serves as a hub for teamwork in Office 365.
Employees working remotely can depend on the app for quality team conversations and files, meetings, and apps live together in a single shared workspace.
This great application assures the enterprise-level security and compliance you expect from Office 365 and the app offers almost anything and everything that can be integrated for an office space.
Many top businesses are utilizing the possibilities of this messaging app during the covid days to ensure smooth workflow. The group dashboards let you to view important items, shared locations, & upcoming tasks within a group chat for easy coordination.
- Team projects can be managed efficiently with file editing and sharing on the go
- You can chat privately or in groups, and communicate with the entire team in dedicated channels
- Connect face-to-face with HD audio and video and join meetings despite location
- Easily save important conversations and customize your notifications
- Effortlessly switch between work and personal account to stay organized throughout the day
With over 500 million users, Line is one of the best popular messaging apps across the globe, especially in Asia. With a timeline like Facebook, the users can post and get comments from their friends.
A variety of LINE sticker sets can be used to liven up your messages in your own unique way. The app is number one in popular messaging apps category ranking in 52 countries.
Use polls to quickly see what your friends think and connect with the favourite celebrities and companies through the official accounts and easily follow brands and artists.
- Users can connect with others through landline calls, free line calls and Line video or voice calls
- Let’s you share messages, photos, videos, stickers, voice messages, and locations easily with friends
- Chats are encrypted and group chat can hold up to 200 members
- You can make international calls with LINE Out
- Browse hundreds of popular free stickers in Sticker Shop
22) Google Hangouts
This is another great platform from Google that lets users to stay connected through messages and video or voice calls. The conversation can be between individuals or within a group.
The platform lets you to keep in touch with contacts across Android, iOS, and the web and sync chats across all your devices. Users are also allowed to connect the Google Voice account for phone calling, SMS texting, and voicemail integration.
- Conversation through group chats are allowed for up to 150 people
- Express what you feel through status messages, photos, videos, maps, emoji, stickers, and animated GIFs
- Conversation can be turned into a free group video call with up to 10 contacts
- Message your contacts anytime whether they are online or offline
- All calls to Hangouts users are free
Just like Microsoft Teams, businesses across the globe are utilizing the possibilities of Zoom to ensure smooth workflow remotely during these trying times.
However, the app has also large numbers of users among common people as there is no licensing required and it is absolutely free.
This video calling app is used by over 500,000 customer organizations and is #1 in customer satisfaction.
The app lets you to easily connect with anyone on Android, other mobile devices, Windows, Mac, iOS, ZoomPresence, H.323/SIP room systems, and telephones
- Easily start or join a 100-person meeting with face-to-face video, high quality screen sharing, and instant messaging
- Effortlessly screen share photos, web and Google Drive, Dropbox or Box files
- Join as interactive participant or view-only webinar attendee
- Users can co-annotate over shared content with possibilities of real-time whiteboard collaboration
- Send group text, images, and audio from mobile and desktop
- Easily setup auto-receptionists to autonomously answer and route calls
More than just a messaging and social media tool, it has become a lifestyle for over one hundred million users across the globe.
In addition to the basic chat and call options, you can read news, use local services in Official Accounts, exercise with friends on WeRun, scan QR codes and play fun games with friends.
The app is localized in 20 different languages and lets you make calls to mobile phones and landlines around the globe at super low rates (only certain regions).
To add to the overall convenience, users can even enjoy mobile payment features with WeChat Pay.
- Message friends using text, photo, voice, video and location sharing
- Connect with up to 500 members at once through group chats
- MINI PROGRAMS lets you enjoy countless third-party services without separate installation
- You can record short videos to post in your Time Capsule
- Make group video calls with up to 9 people
Read Also : 20 Best Free Music Apps 2021
As the Covid situations are demanding people to follow the new normal, the importance of digital communication is turning out to be very evident. Moreover, it is becoming really difficult to survive the daily life without having such amazing popular messaging apps on our device.
With rich, user-friendly features, these popular messaging apps are crafted to make communication lively and help us stay in touch with people living in diverse geographical locations.
Even when the current situations call for social distancing, such great options at your finger tips are turning out to be a great companion for your new journey and keep up the relations.