The messaging apps are a great way to send and receive quick messages from people in your circle. By enabling convenient chat windows, they enhance communication by means of instant messages, video call or voice calls and media file sharing.
The most popular messaging apps are the ones that run on all kinds of smartphone operating systems including iOS, Android and Windows. They are easy to download and use.
However, all messaging apps have different features to offer. So which one would you choose from the lot?
Read Also: 24 Best Video Chat Apps 2019
To help you select the best messaging app, here are a few most popular messaging apps shortlisted for 2019.
It comes as no surprise that WhatsApp has been downloaded by more than one billion users. Its growth has burgeoned after Facebook acquired the messaging app.
It has gained more users especially due to the fact that the app does not have any advertisements, which makes it stand out from others. WhatsApp is free and users can send text, photos, short voice and video messages to their phone contacts.
- Allows you to send and receive photos, videos, documents, as well as Voice Messages
- Saves your recent messages until the next time you use the app
- No subscription fees
- Let’s you enjoy group chats with your contacts
The app has added new features such as more expressive emojis and stickers, group chat as well as message encryption for enhanced security.
The distinctive catch behind the tremendous popularity of Snapchat is its unique instant messaging capability that appeals most to teenagers today.
Laced with video conversations, Snapchat is a free app and offers distinguished self-destructing power to users which destroys shared media files after a fixed period.
- Opens right to the camera, so you can share the moment in seconds
- Let’s you follow your friends and watch their daily story
- Adds new selfie lenses and filters every day
- Allows you to video chat with up to 16 friends at once
Users can send Snaps which are photos, messages and short videos that remain alive for short while before it disappears. It now offers more features such as funny filters, photo editing, bitmojis, adaptive chat and story sharing system.
3) Facebook Messenger
Attracting nearly 1.3 billion global users, Facebook Messenger native app effortlessly manages to compete head-to-head with WhatsApp. FM builds on Facebook’s chat network enhanced by more cool extensions, add-ons and features like Dark Mode view.
Facebook users can send their friends chat messages, voice messages and voice and video calls. It also has GIF support along with location and media file sharing.
- Let’s you show your reaction
- Allows you to play games with friends
- Let’s you easily connect with your favorite businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals etc.
- Allows you to send and receive money from friends in the app by adding your debit card or PayPal account
Facebook is constantly innovating its features, improving user experience with even more compact and light interface with minimal tabs to fast-access the chat features. Due to its stupendous success, brands are also willing to inject the power of FM into their digital marketing strategy.
Telegram is aimed at those who seek fastest messaging experience along with great security. It has millions of active users and works well on both desktop and mobile platforms.
This app uses cloud to store the chat history and the securities of the chats are ensured by 256-bit symmetric AES encryption, Diffie-Hellman secure key exchange and 2048-bit RSA encryption.
- 100% FREE and no ads
The group chats can contain 100,000 people and the app supports GIFs, stickers, video and photo editing. This app does not have any advertisements and is completely free. The makers of Telegram promised that this app will remain free and will never sell any data.
Skype needs no introduction when it comes to listing it in popular messaging app in 2019. Built with a professional appeal, Skype has globally grown as a most preferred free video calling app.
It has fast instant messaging interface and an efficient ease of file transfer. For individuals who don’t like use of words much, there are numerous expressive emojis that can be used to make conversations pithy and fun.
- Allows you to make voice calls to anyone in the world
- Let’s you send photos and videos with your family and friends
- Calls are free
- Allows you to make a HD video call
It is supported perfectly on both mobile and PC.
The set-up of this messaging app is comparatively easy when compared with other messaging apps and it has a variety of features. This app does the login by using the phone number of the user and it syncs with the user’s phone to find contacts.
You can send stickers, emoticons, text, photos, video and voice messages for free to other users of Viber. The feature called Viber Out let you call landline phones and non Viber numbers worldwide.
- Allows you to make crystal-clear audio and instant video calls to friends and family for free
- Self-destructs your secret chats
- Let’s you express yourself with GIFs and Stickers
- Allows you to catch up with your friends, family and coworkers by opening a group chat for up to 250 members
The feature of encrypted messaging is also introduced in this app and it has a color coded icon that indicates encryption and chat security.
Tango is one of the most popular messaging apps that is in demand. This app has a variety of chat features that enables the users to chat with friends as well as find new friends to chat with.
It has the feature of finding new friends by using “nearby” or group chat. Also, it has the feature of making video calls with interesting and cute stickers.
- Best-quality global video service
- Let’s you watch and create live stream videos as well as broadcast them
- Allows you to send stickers or photos, add filters and play games while on a live call with your friends and family
- Access special masks for free
This app let you create conversation groups where you can chat with a number of people at the same time. With the help of this messenger, you can download video games and play with your friends.
Read Also: How to Create a Messaging App like Whatsapp
This can be considered as one of the famous messaging apps of this time and it is designed for the users that like to chat with friends or new users.
The features provided in the WeChat application are user friendly in nature and the users can join WeChat groups to find new friends.
- Allows you to record short videos to post in your Time Capsule before they disappear in 24 hours
- Let’s you create group chats with up to 500 members
- Allows you to make high-quality voice and video calls to anywhere in the world
- Let’s you share your real-time location with the press of a button
The users can also use the “radar” to chat with Caucasians and this can be easily done by just moving your phone from right to left. With the help of this app, the users can easily invite other people to chat.
This app can be considered as one of the most popular app especially in Asia and it has nearly 600 million users. The features of this app are almost similar to the other messaging apps and it has a timeline like Facebook where the users can post and get comments from their friends.
Various call facilities are also available like landline calls, free line calls and Line video or voice calls. The application has a good stock of stickers that are called Line characters and those characters are very famous in Asia.
- Allows you to make free voice and video calls anywhere, anytime
- Let’s you share messages, photos, videos, stickers, voice messages, and locations easily with friends
- Allows you to share your daily moments with friends on Timeline
- Let’s you connect directly with your favorite celebrities and companies by friending their official accounts
The group chat can hold up to 200 members and proper support is provided for encrypted chats. The users can also follow brands and artists.
Slack is a team oriented productive messaging app famous among the corporations and normal users that have the features of scheduling, management tools, messaging and app integration.
The IM basics of the users are covered by Slack with the synching of real-time messaging across devices and it also supports group or direct messaging tools along with file sharing.
- Allows you to communicate with your team and organise your conversations by topic, project, etc.
- Let you message or call any person or group within your team
- Allows you to share and edit documents and collaborate with the right people
- Allows you to easily search a central knowledge base that automatically indexes and archives your team’s past conversations and files
The additional feature of this app is the system of chat channels that allows the users to quickly set subgroups for topic-oriented or task-oriented discussions.
11) Messenger Kids
Facebook’s Messenger Kids is a kid-friendly and safe version of Messenger for the children under 13. This app by Facebook is loaded with fun features and it has strict security controls so that the parents can know about the online activities of their kids.
As it is made for kids there are huge options of color themes and it has various frames and stickers that the kids can use to have friendly chats.
- No ads or in-app purchases and the app is free to download
- Comes with a feature-filled camera that allows kids to create videos and decorate photos to share with their loved ones
- Works on all tablets and smartphones
- Phone number is not needed; you only need Wi-Fi
The kids can do private as well as group texts along with video calls. The parents can control the contact list so that the kids do not interact with any harmful person.
12) Google Allo
This messaging app by Google has added the AI assistant functions to its everyday SMS and chat app.
The mobile messaging features provided by this app comprise of chat, stickers, photo messaging, annotation tool for photos and emoji but the noticeable feature of this app is the use of Google Assistant that suggest quick message replies by the use of AI-powered assistant.
With the help of this app you can easily find nearby restaurants and check the weather report.
- Allows you to easily find nearby restaurants and check the weather report
- Let’s you express yourself better with stickers, doodles, and HUGE emojis as well as text
- Eliminates the need for typing, you can say it louder or quieter by changing the size of your text with a quick swipe
- Allows you to send messages with end-to-end encryption
This app is for the users who are looking for friends with the same hobby or passion and you can easily share your ideas and thoughts through this app with your like minded friend.
You can easily find new friends with the same hobby by the forum based chat system of this application. This application has different forums like fashion, music, sports, pets and so on.
- Allows you to watch stories, videos, and read blogs
- Let’s you create your own stories, blogs, polls, quizzes, etc.
- Allows you to add text, background music and even turn horizontal videos into vertical ones
- Let’s you customize your profile
This forum system helps the user to select their hobby forum and they can easily chat with foreign friends. This app has the features of private chat where you can privately interact with your friends.
Read Also: Purpose of Chat Applications
It is difficult to survive the daily life without having messaging apps on our device.
With rich, user-friendly features, these apps are crafted to make communication lively and help us stay in touch with people living in in different geographical locations.
Unlike the ordinary messengers, users can feel more power and control while sharing assorted expressions.