React.js was originally developed by Facebook team to create a highly responsive and dynamic UI with uncompromised performance.
React-Native was developed and launched by Facebook team in 2015 and became quite an interesting and popular framework among mobile app developers.
It can be used for building cross-platform mobile apps. The framework was later customized by contributors to use it for building desktop apps as well.
Though React-Native looks very similar to ReactJS, there are certain differences in their use and structure. In this post, we will see a few points that separate React Native from React.js technology.
Read Also: 13 Famous Apps Built with React Native
This suggests that while components are different, their syntax and workflow remain similar.
1) Setup and running process
In React Native, you have everything you need to set up and get started. It is so easy and fast to launch the framework. All it takes is to run one command line in terminal and you are ready to start coding your first ever React native app.
You will need Xcode (for iOS) or Android Studio (for Android) installed on your computer to run the app. Use an emulator of the target platform or test its performance on your own devices.
The famous Velocity.js allows developers to form assorted animations. They work based on time and velocity of gesture and can be used in many combinations. You also have LayoutAnimation in React Native that comes off cool for transitions especially on iOS platform.
Compared to React JS that allows you to play with creative animations, React Native offers you good freedom to do a lot more in animation space.
3) Developer tools
Rapid app development seekers would be happy to use React in their native project since you already get a few great tools without actually installing anything.
This unique quality saves a lot of time and efforts for developers. In addition, hot reloading enabled by React JS comes handy when there is a need to make small changes to overall app styles.
You can leverage Live Reload if there are bigger changes to add to the app logic so that your app reloads upon changing the code.
React Native developers can use many developer tools present in React JS. You can use Chrome Dev Tools to inspect the network requests, handle logs and for debugging.
You also have Redux DevTools for further assistance in inspection. However, the native inspector is not much helpful since you can’t inspect DOM with React Native like you are able to do on the web.
4) Business benefits of React.js
- React’s DOM (document object model) that manages data inputs and outputs is much faster than the conventional refresh model. Since it only partially refreshes certain parts of the page, Facebook never knew the process of refreshing would prove faster. By positively affecting the re-build time, the partial DOM refresh eventually boosts performance and speed while writing program.
- The phenomenon of reusable code components in React JS further saves you a lot of time.
- React.js also improves the debugging speed which highly favors developers’ work.
- The possibility of rendering the pages from the server to the browser helps positively with SEO part of your app.
- React quite easily comes to even beginners in the space. Because it is effortlessly readable, unlike other frameworks, React doesn’t require you to get thorough with an extensive list of concepts.
5) Business benefits of React Native
- React Native contains Native modules and components that help render certain code components directly with Native APIs to improve performance and speed. It does not depend on WebView for code rendering unlike other cross-platform frameworks.
- Since React Native also lets developers reuse code and common logic layer across iOS and Android, the need for building the applications separately for both is avoided.
- React Native offers all the mentioned benefits of React.js such as delivering a user-friendly UI.
- The component-based development model of React Native framework creates an agile web-style approach for developers to build apps without actually relying on any web.
- By delivering high performance, agility and responsiveness in app development, React Native gets rid of typical struggles involved in native app development such as inefficiency, slow deployment and unsatisfying developer productivity. It also results in best user experience of native apps.
- Another React Native speed booster is its ability to add UI components directly into existing app’s code without aiming to rewrite. So you don’t have to overhaul the entire app when updating.
Read Also: A Comparison Between Flutter & React Native
The process of mobile app development using React Native framework is swimmingly fast. So you can quickly get an app ready in its mature shape. Building the complex UI design elements in React Native is also quick as it usually is with React JS across both iOS and Android.
Developers also have a huge advantage of getting the best out of the big and benevolent React Native community. Thus, Facebook’s original framework React Native has a lot to offer and is a recommendable technology for any web developer who wants to build mobile apps.